Rev. Bonnie Draeger, author of the book When Cancer Strikes a Friend will lead a workshop Sunday, June 7 from 3:00 to 4:30 PM at SUMC. She will address six questions frequently asked by those looking for guidance on how to care for someone close to them who has received the devastating diagnosis of cancer:
- Where and how do you begin when cancer strikes a member of your community, family, congregation, or workplace?
- How can you appropriately and effectively respond when you first learn of another person’s cancer?
- How can you continue to support and help patients and their families throughout the cancer journey?
- What should friends know about the cancer journey?
- What do we need to know about good communication during cancer and ways to share “help, hope, and humor?”
- What can you do to help the larger community assist and support cancer patients and their families?
Rev, Draeger serves as executive director of Friends & Cancer (www.friendsandcancer.org). This nonprofit organization oversees and supports the creation of cancer education materials and programs. An ordained deacon of the United Methodist Church, Rev. Draeger is a cancer survivor and is a featured speaker on cancer survivorship .
This workshop is sponsored by the Health Ministries Commission at Sudbury United Methodist Church. The commission hosts a monthly Cancer Prayer and Support Group. The group is open to cancer patients, survivors and caregivers from all faiths in the metro west area. The group allows those touched by cancer to speak openly in a non-judgmental environment outside the hospital or clinical setting. Guidelines followed include confidentiality and respect. Meetings run from 6 to 7:30 pm in the O’Reilly Room, at Sudbury United Methodist Church, 251 Old Sudbury Rd (Rt. 27). All are welcome. Email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.