We offer a wide variety of opportunities for people of all ages to grow in their faith and to put their faith into action week by week, both at Sudbury United Methodist Church and in the world.
Sunday Morning Traditional Worship – 9:30 am in the Sanctuary
- Sunday Morning worship service is traditional and filled with life.
- Children attend worship with their families for the call to worship, opening hymn, opening prayer, first scripture reading and a special time with the pastor before leaving for their Sunday School classes. They also participate when Communion is served.
- We are known for thoughtful and inspirational sermons as well as strong lay participation.
- Music plays a major role in the service through congregational singing, a talented choir and organist, skilled vocal soloists and frequent instrumental accompaniment. Music styles are varied.
- Nursery care is provided, and a windowed family room allows those in the nursery to both hear and see the proceedings in the sanctuary.
- Don’t worry, we have a large parking lot with room for you.
We offer church school classes for two-year olds through middle school grades during the 9:30 am worship service, following the children’s time with the pastor during worship in the sanctuary. The Director of Christian Education oversees the church school.
We hold three services on Christmas Eve. The Christmas Pageant at 10:30 am, the Love Feast at 6:00 pm, and a service of Word and Table with special music at 8:00 pm. This year there will be a 10:30 am service which is centered around the Church School’s annual pageant and children of all ages participate. We build a cast of animals, shepherds, dancing angels, kings and Mary, Joseph and Baby Jesus. Friendships are formed among the children, as well as their parents. The 6:00 pm Love Feast, is marking it’s sixth year at Sudbury UMC, its roots are a beloved service from the Moravian Church. This is a service of a simple meal, candles, and carols. Its ancient roots were known to and cherished by the founder of Methodism, John Wesley. The 8:00 pm service is a traditional blend of preaching, Holy Communion, special choral and instrumental music, and a closing candlelight rendition of “Silent Night.”
We offer a Lenten Soup Suppers program. As in Advent, we gather for a simple soup supper and then break into groups for study. There is pastor-led study for adults, and special activities available for younger children. Our Director of Christian Education offers program focused on the Sacraments of Baptism and Holy Communion for our 2nd-5th graders and a parent.
Lenten Supper 2016
The season of Pentecost is an active and exuberant time filled with celebration. Pentecost, of course, as well as Mother’s Day, Father’s Day, Confirmation Sunday, Graduation Sunday, and Music Ministry Sunday.
Confirmation at Sudbury United Methodist takes place on the Feast of Pentecost. Preparation begins in the fall of the 10th grade year. Our Senior Pastor leads this group and content focuses on our identity as Christians in the Wesleyan tradition. For further information, please contact the Senior Pastor.
We participate in ecumenical services in the town of Sudbury at Thanksgiving and on Good Friday. Typically, the Thanksgiving service is held at 4:00 pm on the Sunday preceding Thanksgiving and the Sudbury houses of worship take turns hosting the service. The Good Friday service is held in the Martha Mary Chapel on the property of the Wayside Inn. In 2014 Cardinal Sean P. O’Malley preached at a special service in honor of the 50th anniversary of Cardinal Richard Cushing’s historic visit to SUMC in 1964 to discuss the Second Vatican Council’s work on ecumenism, and efforts toward Christian unity. Bishop Sudarshana Devadhar of the New England Conference of the United Methodist Church also presided at the service, along with Pastor Joel B. Guillemette, and the Rev. Richard Erikson, pastor of Our Lady of Fatima Parish.