Since the tenth anniversary of September 11, Sudbury UMC’s members and friends have taken part in an annual autumn week of service. We call it “The Church Has Left the Building.” The title reminds us that most of Jesus’ 1st century ministry took place outside the four walls of a synagogue. John Wesley, the founder of Methodism, followed the same pattern in the 18th century, often preaching outdoors to coal miners as they left their underground jobs at the end of the work day.
Here’s a list of 2014’s service sites. Can you help during one of these gatherings?
- October 18: At 8:00 a.m. volunteers recruited by the Outreach Commission will leave Sudbury UMC to join our Greenwood Memorial UMC friends at the Pine Street Inn, a Boston homeless shelter, for a morning of food preparation. To sign-up, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- October 18: At 2:00 p.m., helpers from the Outreach and Social Justice Commissions, along with Middle and Senior High youth, will host a Halloween party for homeless kids at Home Suites Inn in Waltham. For more information, including directions, contact email@example.com.
- October 25: At 10:00 a.m., the Trustees will rebuild a damaged stone wall in the garden next to the Hosmer House in Sudbury’s historic town center. Park at Sudbury UMC and walk to the traffic light. To sign-up, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- October 26: at 11:30 a.m. volunteers from Sudbury UMC’s choir and other musicians and singers who would like to join them will share a mini-concert at Musketaquid Village at 55 Hudson Road. Friends from Magic Years have promised to provide light refreshments. Email email@example.com.
- October 26: The Church Growth Commission will sponsor a “Trunk-or-Treat” event at the church from 4:00 till 6:00 p.m. Twenty car-owners are needed to decorate their rides, stock the trunk with candy, and park in Sudbury UMC’s lot to welcome kids. To join the fun, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Stay Tuned: The Sunny Hill Committee is working on something creative and fun.